Rohit is the Chairman & Managing Partner of the Firm and plays an active role in the management and operations of the Firm at a national level. In addition to management functions, Mr. Kochhar is actively involved in private practice and advises numerous foreign clients on diverse matters relating to inbound investments. His main areas of work include regulatory approvals, joint ventures, foreign collaborations, acquisitions, company law, exchange control, general commercial transactions and corporate litigation. Mr. Kochhar regularly advises numerous Fortune 500 Companies (including major US and Japanese corporations) on a host of Indian law issues and sits on the board of many Indian subsidiaries of such corporations.
Rohit speaks regularly at various international conferences and has made presentations at various fora in North America, Europe and Japan. He currently holds the position of Honorary Secretary of the Society of Indian Law Firms (SILF).
- Mr. Rohit Kochhar has been conferred the distinguished Rashtriya Gaurav Award (Pride of India) for his outstanding achievements in the legal field in Jan 2010. The award was presented by the Dr. Farooq Abdullah, Cabinet Minister for New & Renewable Energy and Shri Mukul Wasnik, Cabinet Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment .
- Mr. Rohit Kochhar has been conferred the Rajiv Gandhi Award on August 19, 2009 for being the "Young Achiever & Entrepreneur" by the leading Bollywood Actress, Katrina Kaif and Congress MP, Rajiv Shukla. Mr. Kochhar is the first and only practicing lawyer in India to have been conferred the Rajiv Gandhi Award since its inception."
- Awarded the International Council of Jurists Award by the Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh for his "distinctive accomplishment in the areas of corporate law and legal entrepreneurship” in 2008.
- Kochhar & Co. was conferred the 'National Bar Award' by the All India Bar Association for being "The Most Dynamic and Progressive Indian Law Firm" by the Chairman of the Law Commission of India in 2008.
- Conferred with the National Citizens Award for his unique contribution in the field of “Youth Affairs” in 2001.
- Presented the National Law Award for “Excellence in Corporate law” in 1999.
- LL.B., University of Mumbai - merit scholar (ranked 3rd out of 3000 students).
- B.Com., (Honours), University of Delhi - merit scholar.
- Admitted to the Bar in 1987.
- Delhi High Court Bar Association.
- Supreme Court Bar Association.
- International Bar Association (IBA).
- Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA); Past Chair of the Cross Border Investment Committee (1997-1998) and the Membership Committee (1998-2000).
- Co-authored a book titled “Doing Business in India” published by Business Laws, Inc
- Article on 'Exit from a Joint Venture in India' in IBL (Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law).
11th Floor, Tower A, DLF Towers Jasola,
Jasola District Center, New Delhi 110025 (India)
Tel: +91 11 41115222/43129300, Fax: +91 11 40563813